Friday, November 2, 2007

What's in a name?

Kennedy Marguerite Seigler-Lewis. What does her name mean? I can't tell you what it means, but I can tell you how it came to be. Ever since I was a senior in high school, I knew this would be my daughter's name (except for the Lewis part!). Yes, she is named after one of the greatest Presidents in American History. But actually, I heard the name Kennedy on an old NBC sitcom, Blossom. In one of the last seasons of the television series, Kennedy was the little girl whose mother married Blossom's dad. (Isn't it bizarre how you remember these things?) Since that time, I have become aware of two other little girls who also have the name Kennedy.

Marguerite is the name of my grandmother. I could write an entire book about her. It was difficult for most people to pronounce her name, let alone spell it, but I always thought it was unique. I wanted Kennedy to have a family name. I was always proud to be named Jennie Elizabeth after my great-grandmother. I know Kennedy will be proud to be named after her great-grandmother.

Seigler-Lewis. It never occurred to me to take my husband's name. It just never made any sense. Why should I give up my identity? I do not frown upon women who take their husband's last name. It is their choice. Just like it is my choice to keep my last name. This was my line of thinking even before I ever met Briton. One of the things that attracted me to him most was the way he embraced (and even shared some of) my feminist qualities. After we were engaged, I brought up the "name". "If you want me to hyphenate my last name, I will. But only if you hyphenate yours." His response, "I don't want to change my name and I don't want you to change yours." Are we perfect for each other or what? This is hard for some people to understand. "Why don't you want to take his last name? I loved my husband enough to take his. " These are the criticisms I get (even from my own family) after 6 years of marriage. I have decided that they will never get it. You see, it is not about my husband. The name is about me. It is about who I am. My husband knows my love for him is endless and unconditional. He doesn't need me to change my name to prove it. Why would we give our daughter just the last name of Seigler or Lewis? "But it is so long," is one of the favorite rationals for only giving her one last name. My response: It is only 12 letters. My mother's maiden name was 10 letters long. I don't see the problem. Kennedy will be raised to be an independent thinker. If she chooses to go by only one last name, that will be her choice. Do you see a theme here? Women....being able to make choices. So, for the very last time, her name chosen by her father and I is Kennedy Marguerite Seigler-Lewis.