Thursday, November 1, 2007

Our Video of Kennedy


Our very first video of Kennedy arrived in the mail today. I was making a toasted cheese sandwich for Brit when he went out to the mailbox. He came into the house and yelled "Turn it off!" I knew that meant the video had arrived. He could not open it fast enough. As he was placing the video in the VCR, my eyes began to fill with tears. I wanted to stand right in front of the television so I could take in every tiny detail. However, Brit standing so close to me makes Lily bark and that was extremely distracting, so we both sat down beside each other to watch and listen to Kennedy. I cried the entire time.

This is my version of an ultrasound video. You can see your baby and still not be able to hold her. At that moment, nothing else in the world seemed to matter. In front of me was the baby I have prayed for. "This is really her," I kept telling myself. I could picture her home with us and within seconds I could imagine her as a toddler, her first day of school, and her college graduation. Knowing that I have a lifetime to spend with her makes the wait tolerable.

I never imagined feeling this overwhelming and intense love for someone I have never even met. It is truly indescribable. I just keep picturing the day when I get to hold her in my arms. I cannot thank Carol enough for taking this video for us. During her visit trips to Guatemala, she takes the time to visit her waiting children in their foster homes. The experience is priceless and I will be forever grateful to her. She was talking to Kennedy in the video and said, "Say hola to mommy. Say hola to poppy." I will dream tonight of someday hearing those words come out of Kennedy's mouth.